HISTORY OF LLANDUDNO PRIMARY
In 1953 Llandudno residents requested the Education Department to provide school facilities in the Valley.The Department would not consider granting a primary school as 10 pupils were the minimum number required.
On 12 October 1953, permission was granted and the first schoolroom was prepared by eager parents in the home of Mr H. Jerram, Tradewinds, Bosman Avenue and the school opened unofficially, with 9 pupils on 20 January, 1954. On 30 March that year, Miss H. Boden, who had taught the pupils since January, received her salary from the Department who had finally agreed on the establishment of a Farm School.
In January 1955 the school moved to Kaliff Cottage, Maori Road, at the home of Cliff Johnson.
The Department paid £4 per month for the premises.
In 1957 the Chairman of the school committee, Mr. H. J.Eales, asked the Education Department to upgrade the school to Primary status, to alleviate the burden of fee-paying by the parents and on 10 June the school became known as Primary School – Grade 2.
Llandudno Estates, who developed the township, allocated land for the school and in 1958 the Education Department erected a pre-fabricated building consisting of 1 classroom, office, storeroom and toilet facilities.
The committee then requested ground works and a telephone.
When the Pollsmoor Prison School closed, desks, chairs and books, including some for the library, were transferred to the Llandudno Primary School. Mrs A Franke was the teacher until the end of the third term, 1958, when she resigned after the death of her husband. He had driven her to school each day from Zeekoevlei.
She was succeeded by Mrs M.D. Faraday who taught 13 pupils up to Standard III.
Mr T.F.T. Malherbe, in his inspection report of 13 October 1959 wrote:
The school grounds are spacious and have recently been cleared of large bushes and stumps. Wild flowers abound in the vicinity. The building is on a slope and there is no level portion for P.T. It is desirable that a small section in front of the school be leveled.
Books were added to the school library with a donation of £10 from School Funds. Sports equipment was also acquired.
In 1966 Mrs E.A. Paeper succeeded Mrs M.D. Faraday, as principal.
In 1968 with 21 pupils on the roll a second teacher, Mrs S. Phelan was appointed to assist.
Mrs E.A. Paeper went on leave in April leaving Mrs S. Phelan as Acting Principal, teaching Standards I – V.
Mrs I. Truter taught Sub A and B for the term. Mrs Paeper returned at the beginning of the third quarter.
Building operations commenced in 1968 as accommodation in one classroom was impractical and Mrs Phelan had to conduct classes in the passage. A new pre-fabricated structure containing 3 classrooms (including the original), kitchen, store, office and larger toilet facilities was erected.
During 1969 the school was split into Sub A, Sub B and Standard I, with Mrs Paeper teaching the kindergarden section and Mrs Phelan in charge of Standard II to V.
A tennis practice wall was built by the school committee in 1968 and Tennisette as an extra-mural activity was instigated. Llandudno Sports Club offered the school the use of their courts for tennis and the older pupils enjoyed playing there.
The first Sports Day was held on Llandudno Beach – that being the only flat area available – on Friday 26 March during the Autumnal Equinox. The beach with its wide expanse of hard sand provided the ideal venue.
In January 1970 Mrs M.A. James took over from Mrs S. Phelan when there were 24 pupils on the roll. School uniforms became compulsory. Navy tracksuits, with a yellow flash on sleeves and legs, became the winter uniform and in summer the track suit jackets were worn with navy shorts for the boys and navy skirts for the girls.
During 1971 the school grounds were terraced with local beach stone and a new, flat tarred recreation area was built. Mrs K. Jerram, Chairman of the School Committee, took an active interest in the construction work. The school was also re-fenced with plastic-coated wire mesh, which replaced the strands of galvanized wire.
In 1972 Mrs Irma Holland took over from Mrs James as teacher to Standards 2 – 5. The school became involved in the “Save Sandy Bay” campaign. Pupils letters to the Cape Argus were published and a petition was sent to the developers of the Sandy Bay Township Scheme. The pupils starred in a film, directed by Val Rosenberg, that made a statement on Sandy Bay.
By 1974 with 46 children at school, Miss B van Niekerk was appointed as 3rd teacher for Standards I and II.Mrs J. Kuttel gave swimming instruction in her pool ably assisted by various mothers. The next year, 1975, Llandudno Primary School shared the Dolphin Swimming Trophy with Verulam Primary School in Natal. It was awarded to the school that had the greatest percentage of pupils who were able to swim. Coca Cola presented a cheque for R378 as the prize and pupils drank as many cokes as they could.
Llandudno competed against Camps Bay Primary School in a swimming gala at Camps Bay. The older pupil attended a performance of “As you like it” at Maynardville and trips to the S.A. Museum and Kirstenbosch took place. Mrs James entered the III, IV and V Recorder group in the Cape Town Eisteddford and they were awarded an Honours Certificate. A variety concert, including all pupils, was performed in the Kronendal School Hall. The pupils also produced the school’s first magazine, “School Chatter.”
In December 1978 the present and past parents and pupils bade a fond farewell to Mrs Paeper who retired. There were now 50 pupils in the school.
1979 saw the start of a new era under the first male principal, Mr D. Seelinger, who enthusiastically set about the task of running the school.
For the first time the pupils participated in Outdoor Education at Bundu, the School in the Wilds at Villiersdorp. An inter-house gala took place at the Camps Bay Primary School and in March, Cricket was started for the boys. Winter sports of Rugby and Netball were introduced as extra-mural activities. A very successful inter-school Sports Day at Kronendal in Hout Bay also took place.
Cultural activities included solo and group recorder entries in the Cape Town Eisteddfod and 4 certificates were awarded.
As 1979 marked the 25 anniversary of the school, Silver Jubilee celebrations took place in November. In a large marquee tent in the garden, old friends, pupils and teachers were entertained by the present pupils. A festive air prevailed as the pupils waited on the visitors, serving teas and cakes.
In 1980 an additional prefab was erected and this now meant that the children had less ground to play on.A committee called “The Friends of Llandudno” was formed to raise funds to build a sports field.
There were now 73 pupils in the school.
In November 1981 the “Friends of Llandudno” had raised enough money and the bulldozers arrived to start on the field. The field was opened in 1982.
In 1983 the Department erected a much-needed new toilet block and the old internal toilets were turned into a tiny library and Principals office.
The next project of the “Friends of Llandudno ” was to raise funds for a school hall. The hall was built and opened by the “Friends” in 1987. There were 84 pupils in the school.
By 1990 the school had grown to 96 pupils.
In 1991 Mr Clive Alexander was appointed as the new Head of Department.
In 1992 Mrs Erasmus joined the staff, teaching Grades 6 and 7.
In 1992 the “Friends” built a new prefabricated Library and Music room.
At the end of 1992 we had 126 pupils in the school.
Mr Van Den Bergh left the school in June 1994 and Mr Clive Alexander took over as the new Principal.
Mr. Alexander set about upgrading the existing facilities and providing bricked accommodation for the children.
He also felt that it was important to introduce a private Reception Class to provide a feeder to the main school so that the schools capacity of about 200 could be reached.
There were 152 pupils enrolled in 1994. In 1994 a reception classroom, toilets, and tuckshop was built next to the existing Hall. The Reception class opened its door to pupils in 1996.
A new swimming pool was officially opened in 1995 and in 1996 additional funds were raised to build a New Administration Block and upgrade the Grade 1, 2, and 3 classrooms to brick.
By 1996 the school had almost reached its maximum intake and 196 pupils were enrolled.
The Grade 4, 5, 6, and 7 classes still had to suffer in the old prefabs where the floors were falling in and a major fundraising drive was started in 1997, as the school had a total 206 pupils
In 1997 Mrs Sylvia Phelan who had given a great many years to the school as a class teacher took over as librarian from Mrs Joyce Wormser.
In 1999 the “Friends of Llandudno ” had raised the necessary funds and amid much excitement the new Senior Primary Block was started in March, and finished in September of 1999. Mrs Kuhn left the school at the end of 1999 and Mrs Amanda Sepp became the new grade one teacher. Mrs Erasmus was appointed as Head of Department (vice principal).
In 2003 the school introduced computer classes.
2004 – 50th Birthday – 216 pupils – New Media Centre under construction. Mr Alexander retired at the end of 2004.
Mrs Erasmus was appointed as the new principal in January. Ms Phelan moved over to teaching class singing and private music lessons on Fridays.
A Music department was started again in 2005 with 3 part time educators for piano, guitar and drumming and since 2008, it is running well with 5 teachers under the leadership of Ms Hartje, the violin and voice specialist, Mr. Fereira for guitar and band work, Mr Greyling for drums and Ms Phelan and Ms Marais for piano.
In May 2008, Mr Gerhard Maree and Mr. Enrico Thys joined the department teaching piano and guitar respectively.
As of August 2008, Mr. Thys headed the Music Department and Ms Dennay Smith and then Ms Amy Larter joined as the very popular and effective vocal teachers. Amy Larter was also a SA idols 3rd round competitor in 2011.
Llandudno Primary has been fortunate to have many talented pupils, several of whom have been chosen to enrol at the Drakensberg Boy’s School. In 1999 a total of 5 Llandudno pupils were part of the Drakensberg Boy’sChoir.
In 2011 Ms Robertson, a past pupil of Llandudno joined the administration team as the school had grown large enough to require 2 secretaries and in October 2012, Ms Steward took over from Ms Robertson in a full time capacity. In 2011, Llandudno underwent major renovations to revamp and enlarge its Foundation Phase buildings and the administration block to add and modernise offices.
At the end of 2013, Mr Thys relocated to Gauteng and Ms Strugar took over the music department and Mrs Bennett retired after 17 years of teaching at Llandudno.
In 2006 and again in 2014 Llandudno Primary has revamped and modernised its school uniform with changes in colour to the golf shirts from yellow to smart navy blue and now the introduction of a trendy khaki shade with striped collar and the girls trademark yellow dresses of the 60’s to 90’s were replaced with a bold navy, green and white tartan. Navy chinos are worn by the boys instead of the old baggy navy and yellow striped tracksuits.
Llandudno Primary celebrated its Diamond jubilee in 2014 with many festivities and engagements with its families, the community and its past pupils who helped shape the ethos of this very special seaside school. In February 2014, the school completed its second phase of the building project to add much needed storage space, upgraded and enlarged the old pupil ablution block into proper change rooms and added a state of the art library and media centre to the front of the school. The school is also currently in the process of upgrading its IT centre and has networked the building and supplied WIFI and fibre to all areas to facilitate the most modern of teaching technology in all classrooms and throughout the building.
In 2018 we set about an ambitious project to build an Astro turf sports facility after a particularly bad period of drought in Cape Town the ensuing loss of our school fields. The new fields have been a source of great enjoyment for the pupils and we have run a number of sports afternoons and fundraisers on the new turf since its opening.
The school strives to equip the pupils with all the skills to cope with the 21st century while maintaining family ideals in a warm friendly family atmosphere.